Friday, June 08, 2007

38. "Beloved" - Toni Morrison


I thought I'd read this novel, but confused it with The Bluest Eye.

Too tired for a full review... it's simply one of the best novels I've ever read. Beautiful, lyrical writing. Its truths are stunning. Skip Song of Solomon and read this.

4.9 out of 5.0 Sweet Lovin's.

P.S. - Thank you for the kind emails and notes. The biopsies caused an infection, so I'm flying feverishly high. I'll find out more next week. Meanwhile, the wikipedia joke Bristol Stool Chart was a hilarious find in my email inbox, Mr. Italy.

6 comments:

Joy said...

Wow...for a non-review, you made this sound superb. I'm going to check it out on amazon right now! :)

Literary Feline said...

I do hope you are feeling better soon.

I don't think I've read Beloved. I know I've read The Bluest Eye and I hope to read Sula (which I haven't heard many good things about) this month.

Arukiyomi said...

Beloved certainly wasn't dull but it certainly wasn't the best novel I've ever read either. I often felt that Morrison was being poetic for the sake of it almost like abstract artists seem to revel in obscurity.

I want to read more Morrison... just not quite yet!

Jason said...

Digging Beloved. I'm just imagining you flaming out in front of a field of Vikings.

That makes me smile.

And the way you dealt with that makes me love you.

Hysterical.

Anonymous said...

Worry not, I will. Sometimes Yoda speak is all I've got for you.

It's brave of you to share what is happening. Even braver to have a sense of humor. This made me think of you:
http://www.poopreport.com/

MH

Kristin Dodge said...

OK now, stop it, y'all. Or I'll actually think something is wrong.

The poop report is one of the best time-wasters on the web. Well done.