Saturday, May 19, 2007

32. "A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That" - Lisa Glatt


Bodies as parts, sex as medicine, love as life... there are several thematic elements that impact the reader in this book of short stories, all linked to a professor, her mother, and her student.

Rachel teaches poetry but lives with her mother, who is dying from breast cancer. Almost in an effort to keep her mother alive, Rachel brings home men for several one night stands.

Thankfully, this isn't a novel about the past relationship between a mother and her daughter, where they fight, then love each other again right before she passes away silently at dawn. I can't emphasize how happy this made me. It's anti-cliche throughout, and its lovely, amazing writing is sensual and striking. My only grudge is that one of my written babies "curled like a comma" - so, she has my work beaten to the floorboards.

4.5 out of 5.0 Diamant Noirs.

3 comments:

Nabeel said...

I must say, the book cover is extremely clever .. considering the title :)

Lotus Reads said...

What a memorable cover and thank you for the nice review. When I need a break from the heavies I often look for books with short stories. I will remember to pick this one up.

Anonymous said...

good work keep it up...

U can DOWNLOAD FREE book EBOOKS AND any INFORMATION ON other TOPICS

http://freeinformation.110mb.com/