Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very;" your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be. ~Mark Twain

I'm writing fifteen minutes per day. This is a paltry, sad sum of time. But bit by bit, I'm building a structure for my shy characters to bumble around in.

My eight-year-old and I had a long discussion about naming characters. He prefers basing names on mythology; I should probably listen to him more because he's finished four full-length novels and I've only finished, erm, one. All of my characters are named except the heroine. I've looked up Celtic names, old Testament names, Dr. Seuss names. She remains ? in my ms.

So, between "working for the man" and writing a bit, I don't read like I did last year. I miss it. I miss gorging myself on 5 books a week. I miss the exhaustion of tossing another mildewy tome into my to-return pile. But I love my job. I love the constant challenges. And I love the lunacy. I get to write 8+ hours per day. And I never have trouble coming up with ideas like names.

Books for Breakfast will be on a brief hiatus -- I'm going to Phoenix, books in tow. Titles are not as highbrow, either. Forgive me, but I need a vacation, and besides these "fun" reads there are several chocolate martinis awaiting me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved The Year of Yes. So many of us single women can relate.

I'm a new reader so I don't know if you answered this question. Where can we find your book?

Too bad your not coming two states over. Texas cocktails are big!

Bibliolatrist said...

Have fun in Phoenix!!

Dewey said...

I hope not too long a hiatus! I just discovered your blog and love it already.

White Bear Girl aka Sophie Clucker said...

Ditto Dewey, My bookclub has a blog site and frankly it needs less info and more blogging, so you have been an inspiration!

Ha! I am so glad that after a few "must/should reads", someone else grabs the fun stuff. I am currently hooked on katie fforde and silly English romps, for a quick relax!
Good luck with writing!