Monday, April 30, 2007

28. "Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix" and 29. "The Year of Yes"



Maria, author of this memoir, is gorgeous, literate, hilarious - well, we are told that she is, anyway. (Repeatedly.) So, why can't she find a good man in NYC?

I had an idea, though it was unkind.

Maria decides enough is enough. Anyone - crazy, drug-addicted, female - who asks her for a date will receive the answer, "Yes."

She yesses (a word?) her way through a lot of strange men and a woman. Of course the one man she adores is married. Of course she will marry him in the end. I'll get hell for giving out the end, but for the love of Mike, don't read this book.

The writing style is eerily similar to a former MFA classmate. Bubbly style, woe-is-me quirky romantic edge. I preferred her writing to Maria's. By a long shot.

.75 out of 5.0 Witches' Brews.

P.S. And I read Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix for the second time in my preparations for the final release in July. Yes, I recognize that J,K. Rowling is not a "fantastic" or "literary" writer. However, if you can write with the skill and imagination to hold not only children but adults under your spell, then you need to get your ass published and quit bitching about one major success story. By the way, has anyone heard of J.R.R. Tolkien? Madeleine L'Engle? Point taken? I'm done. Quit emailing me about it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I had considered reading this, so thanks for helping me avoid the irritation it would no doubt cause me.