Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"I look to the future because that's where I'm going to spend the rest of my life." ~ George Burns

One of my former students wrote a fascinating paper on the controversy over headscarves in Muslim culture. She sat with me after class, spending thirty minutes of her time explaining the prophet Mohammed's reasons for the headscarves, the social implications, the familial connections.

When she left, I realized that I have hidden behind my "pagan" wit for too long. I was baptized with my second son as a contingency. We have only gone back to church twice, and once was for a wedding.

So, amidst the other books in the "fridge," I'd like to put the following list in the "deep freezer." They are books that I'll be reading over the course of the next year (perhaps two). I'll write about them when inspired.

1. The Bible: New Testament in Modern English
2. Torah: A Modern Commentary
3. Qur'an, English Translation
4. A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism
5. The God Delusion

I must insist to my friends that I won't be going "all Jesus on your asses." It's been a concern before, though not of me. I've always been counted on for the yule logs, ritual burnings, and celebrations of moon phases. To create one's own religion and take over the world, one must be familiar with the competition.

P.S. If you didn't recognize the last sentence as sarcasm, please don't read this blog ever again.

7 comments:

jenclair said...

Oh, this could get interesting! :)

Bibliolatrist said...

I for one am highly offended.

;-)

Kristin Dodge said...

I just got to the part where Jesus is betrayed by Judas. Don't tell me what happens next!

*again, sarcasm*

spyscribbler said...

I'm into those yule logs, ritual burnings, and celebration of moon phases, too!

Reading the bible is good. It's always kinda funny to know the bible better than those that want to shove it down your throat. ;-)

Jason said...

I read Dawkins about a month ago. I recommend it to every thinking human being. Christians, too.

Kristin Dodge said...

JASON! Where the hell have you been?

Jason said...

Skulking and lurking and such. I monitored the last four months of your reading drive, but you were on such a roll I figured I better not pipe up and distract you.

I'm all over the place. As usual.