Monday, January 15, 2007

5. "Where Angels Fear to Tread" ~ E.M. Forster


From Wikipedia:

"Caroline Abbott, along with the widowed Lilia Herriton, falls in love with both Italy and a handsome Italian much younger than herself, and decides to stay. Furious, her dead husband's family send Lilia's brother-in-law and his sister to Italy to prevent a misalliance, but they arrive too late. Lilia marries the Italian and in due course becomes pregnant again. When she dies giving birth to her child, the Herritons consider it both their right and their duty to travel to Monteriano to obtain custody of the infant so that he can be raised as an Englishman."

It's another early novel about status and society. Sure, Lilia is silly, but she is their former sister-in-law, not a ward of the family estate.

1.25 out of 5.0 Big Sticks.




2 comments:

Anskov said...

No! Not 1.25 to Forster! :)

I've never actually read that novel because I saw a film version of it and the story seemed odd to me. If you want to read really good Forster, try "Howards End" or "Passage to India." Howards End does deal with class, but in such an original way and with such heart that it's wonderful to read.

Kristin Dodge said...

Matty, I agree with you. Loved "Howard's End," which is why I was surprised by my visceral response to this book.

E-mail me when you get a chance... I miss you!