Wednesday, December 20, 2006

147. "Desperate Characters" ~ Paula Fox


Desperate characters, indeed.

Originally published in 1970, this book engages the ridiculous and mundane lives of middle-class couple, Otto and Sophie Bentwood. Aging and childless, they search for some meaning amidst the mediocrity.

Every character is familiar, whether it's the drunk on the street or the friend engulfed in her own relationship melodramas. And while each character is bankrupt with faults, it's difficult to hold back empathy.

A bit heavy on the adverbs, but that's just the composition/ creative writing teacher in me complaining.

3.0 out of 5.0 XYs.

1 comment:

vicariousrising said...

I wandered in here from your Etsy site after getting an email from you regarding a jewelry order I never received. So, this is what you've been up to. Well, I can relate. Love books myself.

Good luck with your quest. You look on target to make it. And if those Azul earrings are still available, give me a hollar. ;)