Monday, December 11, 2006

141. "Cat's Cradle" ~ Kurt Vonnegut


A false religion, Bokonon - but "every religion is based on lies" - a new crystal labeled ice-nine, and a writer who's focused on the atomic bombing of Japan.

All the makings of a Vonnegut parody-of-the-century special.

I can't explain this book. It must be read. It's inventive, yet based in human truths. It's hilarious, yet desperately honest.

I thought I might become a Vonnegut fan. It's now official.

4.8 out of 5.0 Ice Picks.

1 comment:

Edwin Hesselthwite said...

Very strange book this one.

I first read it about 12 years ago, and I didn't really get it... Good, enjoyable, clever, but it's too short and a bit stilted... And half way through it completely changes direction and loses the casual reader who thought the plot mattered.

But then it kept coming back to me, little intricacies and details just welled up at odd times. The Sirens Of Titan and Mother Night had much more impact, but I didn't find myself using their language to direct my life. Cat's Cradle has changed me, I am not the man I was.

I think you'll come to regret the .2 stars you decided it didn't deserve...

"Someday, someday, this crazy world will have to end,

And our God will take things back that He to us did lend.

And if, on that sad day, you want to scold our God,

Why just go ahead and scold Him. He'll just smile and nod."