Friday, December 08, 2006

139. "The Stone Diaries" ~ Carol Shields


Daisy Goodwill Flett drifts through her common life with the emotional interest of a, well, stone. The simple chapter titles ("Birth," "Marriage," "Children," etc.) lay out her life in a linear vacuum, but the strange moments interrupt the simplicity.

If I were to guess the author's "what if" process of thinking, I would question, "What if a boring, simple character can have significance to the reader?" The answer lies in the careful details and description of Shields's prose.

3.5 out of 5.0 Rocky Rocks.

3 comments:

Diana said...

I'm looking forward to finding out what you'll pick for number 150.

Kristin Dodge said...

I thought about re-reading "To Kill a Mockingbird." But I'm open to suggestions.

Diana said...

I think that's a very cool idea.