Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Editor's Note: Take XV

One of my college acquaintances, after drinking from a raised tube - beer bong - and burping his fraternity song, blearily told the same joke over and over: "What has two thumbs and likes blowjobs? This guy!"

Through the sandpaper of my eyelids, I look at this last pile of books and think, who has two thumbs and is insane?

Eventually you will be forced to read my success or failure blog post. Right now, odds are on success. This pleases me, but also causes me to reflect on the past year. What did I gain from this experiment? What did I lose?

These answers will come soon enough. Right now I have twenty more books to read.

But near the summit, I feel these things: human kindness extends farther than borders or oceans. Strangers can become friends without ever meeting each other. Reading can become addictive, even to the extent of harm. Reading can also be the last breath that restarts your heart.

As two mentors would say, "Onward and upward" and "Godspeed, John Glenn."

4 comments:

Bibliolatrist said...

We happen to be on the same page right now - I just bought Valley of the Dolls and I can't put it down.

I'm sure you can do this - when is the deadline? Best of luck!

Carol Dean said...

I read Valley of the Dolls when I was, gasp!, 15 . . . home with pneumonia over spring break. Enlightening. (Not exacly a short read, as I recall.)

Kristin Dodge said...

Deadline: December 31. 150 books in a year.

I'm trying to find the "hee hee ha ha" song about going to the crazy house...

Diana said...

Godspeed, Buzz Aldrin just doesn't have the same oomph.

Godspeed, Kristen! You're doing great!