Wednesday, November 22, 2006

125. "Running With Scissors" ~ Augusten Burroughs


Again, we have a memoir where names have been changed, yet those portrayed are suing the author for libel. If one completely engulfs the self into the Finch family, it's easy to understand the resulting anger.

Augusten relays the story of his mother's fall into madness, his dependency on her psychiatrist's family, which eventually leads to his formal "adoption" by the doctor. While living with the Finch family, Augusten analyzes Dr. Finch's feces, "bible-dips" for quotations relating to the future, engages in sex with his adoptive brother (who is 33 to Augusten's 13), and eats dog food. And that's just the tip of it.

As I thought of how to review this, I decided to go with my gut reactions:

Ha. Ugh. Gross. Sick. Wrong. Sick and wrong. Ha. Eww. Nasty. Sick and wrong again. Ha.

It's beyond quirky. As Natalie, one of the daughters, says, "You can write this but nobody would believe it." Indeed. It's so far out that I don't think Burroughs needs to worry about a libel suit.

3.75 out of 5.0 Facials.

1 comment:

Judytta said...

I was red a moment ego about this book and...
It is very difficult book-I think.

I find in your boog about Joyce Carol Oates.
Today I finished reading her book:

"Missing mum" and it is important book.
Maybe "Missing mum" is too important because my mum was died
when I was 15 year old, now I am 26.

I caution this book.
May information are in this pages about mother, her thought-reading.