Sunday, November 19, 2006

121. "I Am Not Myself These Days" ~ Josh Kilmer-Purcell



A memoir about an alcoholic drag queen (Aqua) and her boyfriend, "Aidan," a crack-using masochistic hooker.

I won't even use the cliche "train wreck."

Instead, I'll quote the author: "[...] I saw enough 'very special' sitcom episodes about the dangers of drugs to know there aren't a lot of happy endings."

While the descriptions of Aqua's nights out are humorous (in that sad, pathetic way of watching someone slide downhill into the realms of hell), Kilmer-Purcell seems bent on entertaining the reader rather than telling his story. He ends sections with sentences like, "this shut up my inner Episcopalian teenager," without delving more into his past life. It's frustrating. Bait and switch. Here I am, no, you can't see me.

Of course, I assume this is his motive; however, I think it's cheap and assumes an unintelligent reader.

1.5 out of 5.0 Queen of Scots.

1 comment:

love always, david said...

I think the point of his writing is not to tell his story or past life to the reader, but to share it. And I think he does that quite well. :)

But I admire your reading 150 books in a year. Perhaps I shall do that for 2010.