Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Editor's Note: Take XII

1. I'm not going to make it. It's okay, you can be honest with me. Someone do the math; I majored in smiling and daydreaming.

2. Illness is good. I have read for six hours straight today. Mixing books while burning a 102 degree temperature leads to the desire to either visit a priest or divorce attorney. Especially when mixing Hostage to the Devil with A Year By the Sea. Fortunately, I'm at the crawling stage, so my soul and marriage are safe.

3. When blogging, one may feel the urge to find out who, exactly, is reading his or her blog. If you display neurotic tendancies, do not embed a counter into your blog. You will spend too much time wondering why someone wanted to know "google-margaret-atwood-sexual-symbolism-comparison-to-shit-stains."

4. Who the heck is reading this from the following countries: Ireland, Afghanistan, Poland, Italy, Indonesia, and Chile? Please soothe a dying (okay, suffering) girl's wishes and come forth. (Winks to those in Canada, Egypt, Japan, China, and Yugoslavia... I know *you* wonderful readers.)

5. Short books. Still need short novels. Novellas. Por favor and gracias. An extra abrazo if you send a morphine drip, as well.

10 comments:

Diana said...

If I can make it, so you can. Onward and upward and godspeed John Glenn.

Anskov said...

Here's a list I can suggest (just ignore the ones you've read):
-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon
-Badenheim 1939 by Aharon Appelfeld
-A Small Place by Jamaica Kinkaid
-And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (I had to put that one on, but I'm sure you've read it)
-The Emigrants by W.G. Sebald
-Pentimento By Lilian Hellman (memoir, but given the controversy over the chapter entitled "Julia" probably more fiction than anything else)
-did you read The Secret History by Donna Tartt?
-Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien
-The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
That's all I can think of now for shorter novels and fast reads.

cheers!

Bibliolatrist said...

MALACHI MARTIN + HIGH FEVER = TROUBLE INDEED

trust me, I know!

best of luck :)

Shepcat said...

Even if you fall short, I have been awed by your progress and happy to be along for the ride.

Among my favorite recent quick reads have been Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking and Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. You might also give Nabokov another whirl by trying Invitation to a Beheading, a farce that would make the Monty Python troupers' heads spin. (Maybe save that one until you're feeling a little less feverish.)

Becky said...

How about some quick short story collections? I'd recommend: Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap; Beware of God by Shalom Auslander; When the Nines Roll Over by David Benioff; and You Are Not a Stranger Here by Adam Haslett. I don't think any of these took me more than a day to finish, but all are pretty awesome.

Les said...

Hehehe, I just wasted far too much time looking at my statcounter for 4 blogs, trying to figure out who the heck was looking at my blogs. Sigh. I really should get a life. Sorry you're feeling so crummy. Seems to be making the rounds - I know of at least a half dozen bloggers with the same crud. My only recommendation these days is The Book Thief. It's not short, but it's a quick read. It's by far the best book I've read all year, if not all my life.

Carol Dean said...

Okay, you sweet, sick one . . . from another sickie who has so neglected you:

(I'm assuming you want some quality with that quantity, btw)

My Mortal Enemy, Willa Cather
Letters from the Earth, Mark Twain
The Moon is Down, Steinbeck
The Pearl, Steinbeck
The Words, Jean-Paul Sartre
The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, Milan Kundera
The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom
When was the last time you picked something up by Vonnegut? He's always good for a quick and fun read.

Wörtwurst said...

The Night of January of January 16th by Ayn Rand
Purity of Heart Is To WIll One Thing by Soren Kierkegaard
Micro Fiction: An Anthology of Really Short Stories by Jerome Stern
Pulp by Charles Bukowski
In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan

Kristin Dodge said...

I think you all are amazing people. And this is not the booze or medicine talking.

After I clear the next pile, I will bite into some of these. Thank you times infinity.

Wörtwurst said...

A few more I couldn't think of last night.

The Gods Will Have Blood by Anatole France
Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories Edited by James Thomas
Cawdor and Medea by Robinson Jeffers (these are novella length narrative poems in one book. Not rhymy whiney stuff, but dark dramas. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)