Wednesday, October 04, 2006

99. "Echo" ~ Francesca Lia Block


The creator of Weetzie Bat has cast her luminescent web again. Echo follows a girl's zig-zagged arrival to womanhood, told through different points of view. In Block's tradition, it is filled with pill-popping, cigarette-smoking, death-defying darkness and angelic imagery. Her books are fairy tales for the jaded.

Considered "young adult" novels, I'm always surprised at her approach to sexuality. She recognizes that teens are sexual beings and writes about it honestly.

Some may find her writing style too jagged or dreamy. I find it hypnotic, as if I've been in the opium den too long.

4.0 out of 5.0 California Martinis.

2 comments:

Wörtwurst said...

READ HUXLEY ALREADY!

Chelsamajiggy said...

I want to read this book.

Now all I have to do is go get it!!!

Keep at it (blogging, as well as reading)!
=)