Tuesday, October 03, 2006

97. "Mother's Milk" ~ Edward St. Aubyn


I did not know this was the third book in a trilogy about the character Patrick Melrose. Perhaps if I had read the other two books, I would have been more impressed.

Instead, I found Melrose - middle-aged, self-absorbed, overdramatic - utterly without a redeeming quality. His wife, Mary, puts up with his philandering; his two sons adjust to his mediocre attention; his mother allows him to plan her death.

While the sarcastic, caustic wit is written with a razored pen, it was not enough to provoke sympathy for any character except Mary. The different point of views is interesting, but, for lack of a better term, seemed to be a literary device. Many people have loved it; the book is short-listed for the Man Booker award. However, upon completing it, I felt like the mother shown on the cover (I cannot recall the name of the painting off the top of my head): sucked completely dry.

1.75 out of 5.0 Andorian Milks.

No comments: