Saturday, October 28, 2006

108. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" ~ Stephen Chbosky


This is the Catcher in the Rye for my generation. Though Holden Caufield will always hold a special place in my heart.

Charlie narrates throughout the book in a series of letters to an unidentified person. A freshman "wallflower," he is befriended by (and here comes the "Breakfast Club"-like categories) a beauty, an emo girl, a feminist, and the token gay guy. Drugs, alcohol, sex, parties ensue.

Published by MTV originally, it is obviously meant for a certain Gen X audience. The ones who memorized lyrics by The Clash or were the first to pierce their lips or eyebrows.

If not of this generation, would you appreciate this book? Probably not. The writing is decent, but not spectacular. The theme is familiar.

But I enjoyed reading it, plus it reminded me of all the music I missed.

3.25 out of 5.0 CpVos.

1 comment:

Chelsamajiggy said...

I read this book.
I loved this book.
It's a fabulous book.

I can't say anymore about it than that.

I won't analyse it or try to sum it up.

It is what it is and, to me (and to many others), it is amazing.