Saturday, October 28, 2006

106. "A Year By the Sea" ~ Joan Anderson


I remember playing with my youngest son, trying to get him to stop screaming during that pre-dinner witching hour. This woman was on Oprah, and as a stay at home mother it was my duty to watch Oprah in order to participate in park or playtime chat.

What amazed me was this woman basically ran away from the life she was fortunate enough to be living. She ran away from her husband, her successful writing gigs, and her adult sons.

And I remember thinking, "Damn." Jealousy out-yelled my son.

All women feel this way to a certain degree. Perhaps all men do, too. At the time, I put Joan Anderson on a pedastal based on her five minute sound byte. After reading the novel, I feel more manipulated.

Yes, she did turn away from everything. However, she retreated to a seaside cottage where her husband continued to pay rent. Yes, she did have to scrounge and get a job at the fish market. Yet, she also continued to receive royalty checks.

After reading Eat, Pray, Love, I can't stay neutral in my assessment of the writing. It's simplistic and akin to reading a journal. But a journal where the author is seriously self-censoring.

Message: good. Book: poor.

1.5 out of 5.0 Cape Codders.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this book last year during my martial seperation and still have several passages I read on a regular basis. There were so many things she wrote about which I could relate to, she and I share the same struggles. Struggles I think so many wives at some point come to.