Tuesday, October 24, 2006

104. "Hostage to the Devil" ~ Malachi Martin


The tagline says: "The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans." Nonfiction coverage of a very memorable Catholic rite, whether known via modern movies or threats by nuns in grammar school.

I should preface my review by saying that I do not believe in a lot of Catholic cawing (for example, Martin seems to imply in his introduction that homosexuality could lead to a demonic possession). Heathen-born and raised, I am not as easily swayed.

Once I put my own prejudices aside, I enjoyed the tales. Nasty, indeed. Horrific, yes. Absolutely convincing... meh.

Well described, well researched, but even when I finished it (sans fever, thank you very much), I felt like I'd been duped into reading religious propaganda. I would have rather spent the time with a Satanist I know and quiz him about the nuances of the devil and demons.

Note to ProfessorGirl - do not read because of the "gnashing of teeth." Nightmare city for you.

2.0 out of 5.0 Devil's Juices.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

I read Hostage, er, half of Hostage, a couple years ago. Gave me the creeps. Had to stop reading. Picturing The Smiler was quite unsettling, but the rape of a priest by a demon was IT for me. Just found your site. Good for you on your reading goal. I have read maybe 35 books in 2006, and think I read lots. I have seen 150 movies this year...(on DVD)