Monday, September 25, 2006

95. "Where the Red Fern Grows" ~ Wilson Rawls


One of my favorite books from my childhood, I began to read it to my children at bedtime. "Is something going to happen to the dogs," my oldest asked. I remembered my third grade class, how each student had to read one paragraph as we wound around the room from row to row. I remembered how it came to me, but I couldn't speak, I couldn't do more than sniffle and thumb up my glasses until my wonderful teacher excused me from class. I cried so loudly in the lavatory that it echoed off the tiles.

"Umm, let's read Frankenstein, instead," I said.

Other geeks may get into arguments over whether Superman would kick Batman's ass, or vice versa. We bibliophiles argue which is the better boy and dog book: Old Yeller or Where the Red Fern Grows.

In my view, it's easy. Two dogs vs. one. Indian legends about, er, where the red fern grows.

Years after I first read this book, it still had the power to reduce me to a puddle. Sometimes the subject matter is more effective than the writing.

4.0 out of 5.0 Colorado Bulldogs.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

"Sometimes the subject matter is more effective than the writing."

I think in general this is the rule rather than the exception.

Kristin Dodge said...

Hey, you. So strange... I was just thinking about you this morning. Do you want my old copies of "Creative Screenwriting" magazine?