Thursday, September 21, 2006

92. "Jesus' Son" ~ Denis Johnson


As a writer, I know that imagination expands upon life experiences, but it does not mean that there is a blurred line between reality and fiction.

As a reader, I wanted to hold Denis Johnson and reiki some love into his soul.

This is how a master crafts his characters. And what flawed characters Johnson creates amid bars, cars, and stars (ooh, that was horrible - my apologies).

I'm teaching my students about descriptive writing. Rip out one page of this book and you will find more detail and imagery than most Book of the Month club selections for ten years.

4.25 out of 5.0 Purple Jesus Cocktails.

1 comment:

LK said...

I quite agree. I don't think Denis Johnson has not yet achieved the excellence he did here -- maybe this collection will be akin to Sherwood Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio.