Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Editor's Note: Take X

"I'm not going to make it," I've said. I wrote it here, I told my friendly librarian, I confessed to friends, both via e-mail and over coffee. "I'm not going to make it."

And what would it matter, really? People fail to meet goals all the time. I've failed at something on a daily basis for years.

But after hitting the 75th book, the tone of the e-mails changed. Instead of taunts that people were rooting against me, I received book lists. The wonderful librarians in my hometown put their heads together and made a list of novellas and short books, then smile encouragement whenever I stop in. Authors, readers - none of whom I've met in person - offer ideas and gentle prods.

As I've said before, what I'm doing is not going to bring "world peas" or cure cancer. It's simply a challenge to myself, with the egotistical hope that it may touch others in some way. Like this e-mail with the subject line, "I applaud you":

"Stumbled upon your website via the Emergingwriters website I believe. The idea's fantastic especially when you see the disheartening statistics about the dwindling numbers of people who never read past high school."

Thank you. The kindness of strangers...

7 comments:

Brian Robert Hischier said...

Failure is just another word for "I tried harder than you did"...
~br.

your said...

phentermine nice :)

Becky said...

Yeah! Ignore the haters - you can totally do it.

Diana said...

Woman, there's no doubt you're going to do this thing.

Lhea J. Love said...

*smile*

Sally said...

earn money - tramadol cool blog :)

Kristin Dodge said...

I love that definition. Very optimistic. Not my typical way of thinking, but I'm up for something new.

Thank you everyone, even you drug-pushers.