Saturday, July 22, 2006

70. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" ~ D.H. Lawrence


As a former public relations guru, my main familiarity with this novel was through its notorious litigations in the United States. A naughty book. A filthy book. Mass communications law required the memorization of dates, actions, favors. What is the meaning of "obscene"?

Frankly, it turned me off. By my definition, obscene meant unworthy of my time, my attention. It meant strippers who applied cake makeup to their belly stretch-marks, old transvestites trolling bars. Sad. Depressing. I have enough of that in my reality, thank you very much.

So it was with wonder that I read - and reread - the first paragraph: "Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically. [...] We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."

The brief plot summary -- Constance Chatterley and her husband, Sir Clifford Chatterley, live as royalty in a poor mining town. Sir Clifford lost the use of his hips and legs during the war, yet Connie stayed with him, believing in the marriage of common ideas and beliefs. Then, she met the gameskeeper, Oliver Mellors, who reminds her of the physical pleasures she had dismissed from her life.

So many questions arise from this book, let alone the objection that a "love story" could be found objectionable and "obscene" because of the words "fuck" or "cunt." Oh, burn my blog, too!

Can there be love without physical intimacy? Are men without "balls" weak, and have men, in general, become lesser beings than they once were? Is power and control more of a turn-on than sex? And on, and on.

I would love to teach this book. I would love to take a class about this book. This does not mean that I loved the book; however, if I am pondering the meaning behind a scene several days after reading it, I hold the entire piece in high regard.

Lawrence writes simply, yet with a divine intuition. There are so many one-liners that I've scribbled into my notebook. Well worth my impertinent wait.

3.8 out of 5.0 English Rose Cocktails.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your not halfway there. Are you feeling the pressure?

Kristin Dodge said...

Pressure? What pressure?

*Keels over*