Saturday, July 15, 2006

68. "Godless" ~ Pete Hautman


Agnostic verging-upon-atheist Jason Bock scrapes the flint against his father's skewed Catholic beliefs by creating his own religion. Smart-ass to the core, he decides to embrace the city's water tower as the icon of his new religion; when his best friend, "Shin," can't refute this possibility of God as water tower, Jason forms the Chutengodians.

This is a young adult novel that is written with such intelligence that it makes adults feel the pressures and uncertainty of adolescence and teenagers the wisdom of many lifetimes. Hautman creates three-dimensional characters that represent and/or idealize certain human qualities, each flawed just enough to like him or her.

Definitely a keeper for the YA lesson plans...

4.5 out of 5.0 Liquor-Free Orange Bucks.

1 comment:

A.YWhoknows? said...

Hi. I am "A.Y Who Knows?" I was doing the same thing you were, making a reveiw on "Godless" and I found a picture and your comment on it attached. I have a blog on blogger, and would <3 if you would check it out, and maybe tell friends about me. I just started this up, and would <3 for you to see it.