Saturday, June 10, 2006

54. "Everything is Illuminated" ~ Jonathan Safran Foer



OK. Deep breath.

I did not throw this book. Tempted, but refrained. Jonathan. I know this was your first book. The preview for the indie film with Frodo Baggins looked quirky and quaint. Eyes wide, I watched it twice. But I stuck to my self-imposed deal: book before movie. Always.

I understand the use of a different voice - an "unbelievably" and "incredibly" unique way to tell the story. Perhaps when this was released, it was mind-boggling. Upon reflection, perhaps it was a warm-up.

Sigh.

Thank you for writing a second novel.

1.0 out of 5.0 Stop Lights.

3 comments:

RC said...

i just watched the movie and certainly feel as though i need to read his second novel...i'm certainly intrigued and glad i liked the movie.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Kristin Dodge said...

I like your blog... and I definitely recommend "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." Quirky weird, but it made me shed a tear or two.

narrator said...

Long late comment, but via John Baker just discovered your list. Since I usually "read" via Audiobook, I tried this, but not only was it clumsily written, it was read by a Yakov Smirnov imitator. I lasted 3 chapters.