Monday, May 29, 2006

Editor's Note: Take VII

A silly whim... "I'm going to read 146 books in 2006." Let's round it up, since my mathematical skills are zero times pi. So, 150 books. In 365 days.

And I don't want to just read the books. I want to rate them. Review them. Preferably using an alcoholic beverage scale.

When I began this venture, I thought I'd pull some friends and colleagues into my web of egotism. I never imagined receiving several daily supportive (and critical) e-mails a day or getting faithful viewers from Greece, Spain, Portugal, Japan, England, Norway. Books for Breakfast is getting 200-plus hits per day. I owe thanks to all who have linked to my website, especially Dan Wickett at Emerging Writers Network.

So, to celebrate hitting 50 books, here are the top (anonymous, of course) e-mails. Enjoy:

"I think your [sic] insane. Reading is important to well-being, but think of all the good you can do with this wasted time? Every [sic] think of volunteer work?"

"Dame folle ! J'aime votre modèle. Mettez à jour plus de photos, svp." (Um, thanks? My interpretation: Damn woman! Bad role model. Send naked photos.)

"First, I want to say how much I enjoy reading your blog. Second, are you out of your fucking mind? :) Third, why no thriller/romance?"

"Request: Nicolas Sparks." (Ai-yi-yi. No comment. Or that was comment enough.)

"What the hell are you drinking in your latest pic. Love the blog." (It's called a UV Bomb Pop shot. I was told the ingredients, but after five of them, I cannot recall anything except it tasted just like those popsicles I used to get from the ice cream truck. The photo was taken after the fourth. Obviously.)

"I can't believe someone reads more than me. Since so many writers read your blog, don't you feel like you are a bit too critical? As a community, we should be more supportive of each other's work."

"Look me up when you're in Glasgow. First shot is on me."

"A friend gave me your blog. We have a bet on whether you'll succeed. Sorry, but I'm rooting against you. No one can read 150 books a year and have a regular life."

So. Will our heroine crack under pressure? Will her vision suffer permanent damage? How many books will fall into toilets, tubs?

Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of beer...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. You will not crack.
2. You will have permanent damage. Are you writing at all?
3. Books in bowls, your next blog.

I'll call you when I get back from Rome.

MH

Anonymous said...

Translation by google says the French comment is:

Insane lady! I like your model. Update more photographs, please.