Monday, May 22, 2006

48. "Prep" ~ Curtis Sittenfeld



Angst-ridden Lee Fiora bends her parents' will and her own logic by attending an eastern boarding school for four years on scholarship. Typically, there is the debate about money vs. lack, popularity vs. none, boys' desires vs. girls' desires.

If not for the blowjobs and references to anal sex, this should be marketed as young adult. Then I could have been prepared for this tedious ride in circles. Most people hated high school. Why waste time reliving it?

The author, young and honored distinguishly for her age, has earned herself a mark in my memory belt. Never read her material again.

.75 out of 5.0 Fretful Martinis.

6 comments:

Bibliolatrist said...

I warned you!

Diana said...

Maybe we are one person only some of the time. I liked this one.

Dodge said...

I know, PG. I think we need to hug it out at our next breakfast.

Diana said...

Hugging it out is better than duking it out.

But I think I liked this book because I was the scholarship kid, too. Lots of her attitudes about class differences rang true and were familiar to me in an it's-uncomfortable-to-remember-I-too-was-once-that-shallow kind of way.

Diana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lhea J. Love said...

.75? Ouch!