Tuesday, April 25, 2006

39. "In Cold Blood" ~ Truman Capote



Yes, this has to do with my rule of books and movies. And I really want to see Capote.

Truman Capote writes the true tale of two men's night of terror when they killed four members of the Clutter family (I almost did the journalism thing and said "brutally murdered," but aren't all murders brutal?). From the first lines, Capote describes the small Kansas community until it's so vivid I could imagine that I've been there. This is how nonfiction should be written -- intertwined with quotations from the killers, interviews with family, backstories of even the minor "characters."

It is a folly to try to portray murderers as victims. However, Capote wrote to my disbelief, persuading me to recognize - not excuse - the despair buried in such darkness. Only a fantastic writer can achieve that.

4.8 out of 5.0 Killers.

4 comments:

Lhea J. Love said...

...I have to read that book...

Chadley said...

Hey! I performed one of the plays from Without Feathers my senior year on the Speech Team! It's called "God" and it's a parody of Greek tragedy. Oh fer fun.

Deborah said...

I agree that it was a 'breakthrough' book, and brilliant in what it achieved . . . I'll be very curious to read what you have to say about Capote (the author) after seeing the movie.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»