Wednesday, April 12, 2006

34. and 35. "Dreaming the Bull," "Dreaming the Hound" ~ Manda Scott



I won't say that I was a bit peeved to find that someone had written not only one book, but is currently amidst a four-part series about Boudica (or Boudicca, or Boadicea, or however you and yours spell it). Especially since I had written the screenplay, then had Mel Gibson reject it, then decided to rewrite it as a novel. No, really, I'm not upset at all.

The first book is a marvelous rendition of the Eceni tribe and the birth and childhood of the famous warrior queen, who later burns down London and kicks Roman ass.

Scott mixes legend with Roman history, creating a new version of the uprising. Her use of "dreaming" among the chosen ones (a reference to the common use of "priests") adds a different dimension to the historical perspective.

However, she veered off-course in the following novels, perhaps following her own "dreaming" and relating the stories of several other characters rather than focusing on Boudica. The repetitive "dreams" of bulls and hares and hounds becomes aggravating. This is a warrior's tale. Show me the warriors.

A lot of this could be personal vent. I hated Masterpiece Theatre's Boudicca for the same reasons. As will many of you despise my version. Meh.

2.25 out of 5.0 Roman Riots.

No comments: