Thursday, March 30, 2006

30. "Watership Down" ~ Richard Adams



Hazel, Bigwig, and Fiver, rabbits of soon-to-be razed warren, escape and venture off to find safety and security in the downs of Watership.

Adams writes this fantasy novel with such intelligence, using quotations from everything between Shakespeare and Thomas Hardy to mythological gods and goddesses, letting the readers know that this is no mere tale of critters. It's a story of hope, survival, and brotherhood.

I winced at that. How to define a book without using cliches? "The timeless classic novel of exile, courage, and survival."

But this is no mere imitation of life. This is a book that sticks to the ribs like grandma's oatmeal. I find myself looking for rabbits and am sure I'll be more forgiving when they invade my garden this summer.

4.85 out of 5.0 Flying Rabbits.

4 comments:

Bibliolatrist said...

how many alcoholic beverages? and what kinda drink would rabbits like? something carroty? or lettucey? hmmm...

Kristin Dodge said...

Blogger didn't save the whole post... here's the update. I thought of Bugs Bunny, but the flying rabbit reminded me of Bigwig's comment... "What will happen next? Rabbits will fly?"

Darren said...

Watership Down was one of the first books I ever read. I think I was 11 years old at the time and spent the following months reading every other book I could find with animals at the centre. Sadly, the rest were little more than pale imitations.

Interesting blog by the way. I like that you don't focus on newly published books. There's so much out there that I've missed over the years or just never got around to reading for one reason or another, so it's good to reminded of some of these books.

Kristin Dodge said...

Thanks for visiting, Darren, and I hope you'll come back.

Comparisons... "Where the Red Fern Grows"? I dare not revisit that one. My memories are all Kleenex wads and snuffles.

I'm trying to do a mix of what I "should" have read and what I "should" read now. I'm glad it speaks to you.