Saturday, March 25, 2006

28. "Beasts of No Nation" ~ Uzodinma Iweala



Agu, a sensitive young boy, is recruited (by force) into a guerrilla army to fight in the civil war in western Africa. Shoved through a myriad of soul-leeching experiences, Agu tries to balance this new skill of murder with his memories of life before the war.

This should be a powerful book with wrenching affects on the reader. It didn't work for me.

I appreciate the broken African-English and the way it's used to show the innocence of Agu and describe the surroundings. The returning imagery of water - oasis in a dead area - was also well written. But the story was predictable, woe-is-the-character blather. I knew what I would find on the next page, whether it was rape, murder, whores, saviors... it has been written before. The writing alone was not enough to save the monotony of the tale.

2.0 out of 5.0 Yellow Fevers.

1 comment:

Bibliolatrist said...

What a coincidence - I'm rereading Watership Down next!! It is such an awesome book. And, you'll love (I hope) Lolita!