Saturday, March 25, 2006

27. "Of Mice and Men" ~ John Steinbeck



Dear Mr. Steinbeck:

When people ask, "If you could meet anyone, who would you want to meet?" and nearly everyone replies, "Jesus," I will think of you.

I saved Of Mice and Men for years, plowing through Cannery Row and East of Eden. Though my favorite novel of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird, East of Eden runs a close second. However, I waited to finish reading your better-known books because I didn't know if I was good enough, if I could understand your symbolism and literary references. I heard my high school English teacher: "YOU are NOT honors English material."

In all of your novels you show both the simplicity and intricacy of men. Their wants, their dreams, their relationships. You show the demonic and angelic views of women. You tease the reader with upside-down versions of "chinks" and "niggers," unheard of in your time.

Thank you for making this minor obsession worth it to the last book.

Fondly,

Kristin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!

make extra money