Saturday, February 04, 2006

AXED - "The Sea"

The Sea? Axed? But it won the Booker-Pulitzer-Kentucky Fried Book award. Everyone loves this book.

Except me.

I tried. I really did. But when the rumblings in my belly overshadow the imagery in my head, something is wrong with the book.

Specifically, this UK-version of writing, which frustrates me. I liked reading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day, but even it took a couple false starts before I got into it. I think these parallel storylines and furrowed brows over the past can make good reading; however, I think it has been done so much that it needs to be over the top (like Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go) before it is worth the effort.

And time. Because, by goddess, I am going to finish 146 books this year. No Sea is going to slow me down.

4 comments:

Bibliolatrist said...

I too have had a bad experience from Banville. Never again, even though I read reviews of The Sea that tempted me. But no, the memory of that painful book was too strong.

Anonymous said...

My name is Peggy and I'm from South Carolina, got your site from a friend.

Thank God someone has the nougats to say something against The Sea. After hearing it was short-listed for all of these awards, I actually bought a copy. What a waste.

I agree with your thoughts on U.K. writing, but what about Binchy and Hornsby? Or are they just more americanized?

Thanks, can I link to you?

Kristin Dodge said...

Please link... and thanks.

I don't know if I'd call them "Americanized," but they have a different style. Perhaps more plot-driven than character-driven (especially Hornsby).

Or perhaps more life-affirming than depressing. In the middle of a miserable, gray winter, the last thing I need is another reason to stay in bed.

Pete said...

The Sea was the longest 200-page novel I've ever read. I should be a lot more wary when I read about someone who's described as a "writer's writer."

Em, I'm glad you like Duotrope as much as I do. I'll gladly accept a first edition of "The Grapes of Wrath." It doesn't even need to be author-inscribed. :-)