Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"Should I up the stakes?" and other meanderings

One hundred books in three hundred and sixty-five days. One book every 3.7 days, approximately.

Some would say, "Are you mad?"

Some would say, "Don't you think you could spend the time writing your own literary masterpiece?"

Some would say, "Why don't you just wait for the movie?" These I would drop-kick into the deep edges of the forest.

I think I can do better.

New goal: 146 books in 2006. Note the cheap-o, cheesy tie-in with the year. I'm all Velveeta, baby.

Why 146? I know I can read one hundred. That isn't a challenge. I'm already at 13 for the month of January. While things will slow down as the semester progresses - tomes traded for argumentative research papers, novels exchanged for nasty reports - once I'm finished grading and teaching I will have three months to fill with blissful reading. Preferably on a hammock with a large glass of vodka lemonade.

No comments: