Sunday, January 08, 2006

5. “Specimen Days” ~ Michael Cunningham


Beneath the title for this book, it says: "A Novel." I call bullshit. This is actually a set of three novellas with the common themes of technology and its effect on society. Or, as I have experienced in the three wrenching days of reading this book, boredom and its effect on my sleep patterns.

I loved "The Hours." I adored it so much, in fact, that I refused to see the movie. Cunningham seemed to overreach when writing this book. While "The Hours" was an ode to Virginia Woolf, "Specimen Days" gives props to Walt Whitman. Worthy individuals, but I found the plots implausible, especially in relation to the allegories set up by Cunningham.

Perhaps I was too jittery after coming off of a good-book binge, but "Specimen Days" felt like jogging in wet cement. I got a workout, but it was exhausting.

1.5 out of 5.0 Belmont Cocktails.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same. I loved The Hours. I thought it was one of the best books I'd ever read at the time. I watched about 10 minutes of the movie and turned it off. What a disservice. It's hard to make great books into films (though The Tin Drum did a pretty good job).

hosemedown

PS: I love this site. Thanks for doing it. ;)

Kristin Dodge said...

I'm so glad that you said that about "The Hours." I'm always on the verge of watching the movie. Thanks for pulling me back... again!

P.S. Thanks and visit often. I'm not eating much... ha.